pastoral land management and conservation
Reviews of decisions made under the Pastoral Land Management and Conservation Act 1989 (SA)
From 4 October 2018 SACAT will have original and review jurisdiction under the Pastoral Land Management and Conservation Act 1989 (SA). This will enable reviews of certain decisions made by the Minister for Environment and Water, Pastoral Board and the Valuer-General.
Types of Decisions that can be reviewed by SACAT
SACAT can review decisions made by the Minister or Pastoral Board:
- To vary the conditions of a pastoral lease
- To not extend the term of a pastoral lease
- To refuse to consent to a transfer, assignment, mortgage sublet or other dealing with a pastoral lease
- To cancel a pastoral lease or impose a fine on a lessee for breach of lease conditions
- To require a property plan
- To delineate a public access or stock route over pastoral land.
SACAT can also review a rent determination made by the Valuer-General for a pastoral lease.
SACAT will also have original jurisdiction to vary conditions of a lease when the Minister decides to reacquire part of the pastoral land subject to a lease.
Generally, an application for review of a decision must be lodged within:
- 3 months of receiving notice of the decision
- 1 month of the date of receiving notice of the rent determination
- In special circumstances, the Tribunal may permit you to make an application after this time.
Before applying to SACAT for a review of a Pastoral Land Management decision you must:
- Have a copy of the decision which you want to challenge – you should include this with your application.
- Ensure you are ready to pay the required fee for making an application.
How to apply:
Click here to start an online application. In the field entitled ‘Type keyword here’ contained within Step 2 type the word ‘pastoral’ as shown below and then scroll down to select the correct application type.
If you are not sure if you have selected the correct application type you can hover over the ‘question mark’ on the right-hand side to see a brief description of the application you have selected.
If you have any further questions or you would like a staff member from SACAT to assist you to complete the application over the telephone please call SACAT on 1800 723 767 (and press menu option 3).
Attach a copy of the decision you are seeking to review:
You must upload a copy of the decision you are seeking to review when completing your on-line application, or you can email the decision to SACAT at email@example.com, or post the decision to SACAT at GPO Box 2361 Adelaide SA 5001. Please quote your tracking code or file number when sending any correspondence to SACAT.
There is a filing fee applicable for this type of application. Payment can be made on-line by credit card at the time of completing the on-line form, or by using one of the other options outlined in the payment section of the on-line form.
Click here to see a list of current fees and information about payment methods and fee waiver options.
Organisations that may be able to assist you:
- Legal Services Commission - www.lsc.sa.gov.au – The Legal Services Commission offer a free telephone legal advice line and other methods of advice for members of the public.
- Welfare Rights Centre - www.wrcsa.org.au – The Welfare Rights Centre will provide free legal advice to people who are low income earners or are at risk of homelessness. In some instances the Welfare Rights Centre may represent a member of public at the Tribunal.