inpatient treatment orders and who can apply
Level 3 Inpatient treatment order
An application can be made to SACAT for a Level 3 Inpatient treatment order (ITO). An application can be made in respect of a person to whom a level 1 or level 2 Inpatient treatment order applies.
What does SACAT consider when making a Level 3 Inpatient treatment order?
SACAT will consider whether
- the person has a mental illness and
- because of the illness, the person requires treatment either for his/her protection from harm or for the protection of others from harm and
- the person has impaired decision-making capacity and
- there is no less restrictive means than an Inpatient treatment order of ensuring appropriate treatment of the illness
- in considering whether there are less restrictive means SACAT must consider whether the person would be able to receive appropriate treatment in the community
Who can apply for a Level 3 Inpatient treatment order?
An application for a Level 3 ITO can be made by
- the Public Advocate
- the Director of an approved treatment centre
- an employee in an approved treatment centre authorised by the director
An application can be made to SACAT for a Review of a SACAT decision (Internal Review) regarding a Level 3 Inpatient treatment order.