Motor Vehicles Act
Disciplinary complaints made under the Motor Vehicles Act 1959
From 4 May 2020, SACAT will receive original jurisdiction under the Motor Vehicles Act 1959. This will empower SACAT to receive and determine disciplinary actions against tow truck drivers.
Under the Act SACAT is given the power to:
- reprimand the person;
- impose a fine not exceeding $1 250;
- in the case of a person who holds a towtruck certificate or temporary towtruck certificate—suspend or cancel the certificate;
- disqualify the person from holding a towtruck certificate or temporary towtruck certificate under this Act.
Applications of this kind will be handled by SACAT’s Administrative & Disciplinary Stream.
When applying to SACAT you must be in a position to:
- Identify the provision(s) of legislation you rely on.
- Advise the conduct said to justify the disciplinary findings identifying the relevant provision of legislation relied on.
- Identify the facts, acts or omissions alleged to constitute the conduct that justifies the disciplinary finding.
- Provide any supporting documents.
- pay any applicable fee payable to make an application.
How to apply:
Click here to start an online application. In the field entitled ‘Type keyword here’ contained within Step 2 type the words ‘motor vehicle’ as shown below and then scroll down to select the correct application type.
If you are not sure if you have selected the correct application type you can hover over the ‘question mark’ on the right-hand side to see a brief description of the application you have selected.
If you have any further questions or you would like a staff member from SACAT to assist you in completing the application please call SACAT on 1800 723 767 (and press menu option 4, then 7).
There is a filing fee applicable for this type of application. Payment can be made on-line by credit card at the time of completing the on-line form, or by using one of the other options outlined in the payment section of the on-line form.
Click here to see a list of current fees and information about payment methods and fee waiver options
Reviews of decisions under the Motor Vehicles Act 1959
SACAT also has jurisdiction to receive and determine review of certain decisions made by the Registrar of Motor Vehicles and a local council. For more information click here.
Motor Vehicles Act 1959