In most cases you have to pay a fee when you apply to SACAT or use SACAT services.
SACAT fees are updated annually by Ministerial Fees Notice.
Types of fees
If you want to bring a matter to SACAT you must pay the required fee before your application will be listed for a conference or a hearing.
The fees are different depending on what legislation the application is made under.
There are application fees for:
- commencing Tribunal proceedings – these are called ‘initiating applications’
- applications for review of an order where the person was unable to attend the original hearing or be represented – these are called ‘reviews for non-attendance’
- applications for an internal review of a SACAT decision - these are called ‘internal review applications’
Applications under most legislation, and reviews for non-attendance, are level 1 fees.
Applications for reviews relating to lobbyists and internal reviews attract higher fees that are different depending on whether the applicant is an individual or a ‘prescribed corporation’. These are referred to as level 2 fees.
A prescribed corporation is a corporation that is not a small business (that has less than 20 full-time equivalent employees and is not subsidiary of a corporation that has 20 or more full-time employees) or a not-for-profit organisation.
Some types of SACAT proceedings are exempt from fees. There are no application fees for:
- guardianship matters
- administration matters
- mental health matters
- consent to medical treatment and palliative care matters
- advance care directive matters.
Requests for transcripts or documentation, and other requests for special services, also attract fees.
Fees must be paid in full before the service request is fulfilled by SACAT.
Service fees may be reduced or waived at the discretion of a Presidential member or registrar.
You can pay online at the end of the application process with a Visa or MasterCard, or you can pay later.
If you choose to pay later, an invoice will be emailed to you upon completion of the application. The invoice will include a unique payment ID as well as details of the available payment options.
You can pay via:
- BPay - the BPay biller code and your payment ID are on your invoice (allow 2-3 business days for BPay payments to be received)
- Credit card - Mastercard and Visa payments can be made over the phone (8125 5958)
- Direct debit - complete the direct debit form (DOCX, 483.0 KB) to make a payment directly from your account
SACAT fees are GST exempt.
Fee waivers and concessions
SACAT can reduce or waive fees in a particular case or a particular class of applicant, based on financial hardship or where it is in the interests of justice to do so.
See fee waivers and exemptions for more details.