SACAT can make decisions under the Births, Deaths and Marriages Registration Act 1996 and review decisions of the Registrar of Births, Deaths and Marriages.
Types of applications that can be made by SACAT
- resolve a dispute between parents about a child’s name
- approve an application by a parent to change a child’s name
- order the registration of a death
- correct registration of a death
- approve an application by a child or their parent to register a change of the child’s sex or gender identity
- approve an application by a child or their parent for an identity acknowledgement certificate.
Applying to SACAT
If you are applying to resolve a dispute between parents about a child’s name, or to propose a change of the name of a child you should submit a copy of the child’s birth certificate or if they were born overseas a copy of their passport with your application.
If you are applying for approval to register a change of a child’s sex or gender identity, you should submit a statement by a medical practitioner or psychologist certifying that the child has undertaken a sufficient amount of appropriate clinical treatment and a copy of the form you submitted to Consumer and Business Services.
You must also ensure you are ready to pay the required fee for making an application.
- Start an online application
- In the keyword field in Step 2, type the word ‘births’ as shown below and then scroll down to select the correct application type.
If you are not sure if you have selected the correct application type you can hover over the ‘question mark’ on the right-hand side to see a brief description of the application you have selected.
There is a filing fee applicable for this type of application.
Payment can be made online by credit card at the time of completing the online form, or by using one of the other options outlined in the payment section of the application form.
I need more help
If you have further questions call SACAT on 1800 723 767 (menu option 4 then option 4 - for matters relating to Births Deaths and Marriages).
A staff member from SACAT can also help you complete your application over the phone