Parties and members of the public can request, inspect or receive a copy of evidence and proceedings before SACAT.
SACAT can refuse access to certain material and may decide to preserve confidential material from disclosure where appropriate.
This decision is discretionary, and undertakings may be sought, or conditions made regarding the use or publication of any material provided.
How to make a request
A request for a transcript, audio recording or other special service requests should be made in writing either by:
- emailing the request to us at email@example.com
- posting the request to GPO Box 2361 Adelaide SA 5001.
SACAT will then consider:
- the nature of the hearing
- the interest and role of the person making the request
- the purpose of the request
- issues of confidentiality of personal information
- other relevant considerations including whether the release of audio or transcript may result in ‘serious harm’ to any person (as set out in Rule 45(b) of the SACAT Rules).
The SACAT Rules provide that you must make a written undertaking that you will not copy or distribute the audio recording, transcript or other documentary evidence, or use it for any purpose that is inconsistent with any condition imposed by the Tribunal, without first seeking the Tribunal’s permission.
Guardianship, administration, mental health and medical treatment matters
Special considerations apply in these proceedings due to the confidential and sensitive nature of the evidence given.
SACAT may only allow the disclosure of a transcript or audio recording of a hearing if it is satisfied the person who applied has a 'proper interest' in the matter and whether the release of the audio recording or transcript is appropriate.
A person with a ‘proper interest’ would include a party to the proceedings and their legal representatives.
- The parties in mental health matters are the applicant and the subject person.
- The parties in guardianship and administration matters are the applicant, the subject person and persons appointed by SACAT under order of the Tribunal as guardian or administrator.
Family members and other persons who attended the hearing as a witness or a support person and members of the public are not parties to the proceedings but may still make a request.
Fees and charges
There are various charges for requesting copies of documents or searching or inspecting a record.
All the fees are set out in the South Australian Civil and Administrative Tribunal (Fees) Regulations 2019.
Written transcripts are prepared externally and charges reflect the costs of providing this transcription service.
Service fees may be reduced or waived at the discretion of a member or registrar.
No service fees apply to guardianship related and mental health matters - unless the request is for a transcript.