SACAT can review certain decisions made under the Animal Welfare Act 1985
Types of decisions that SACAT can review
SACAT can review the following decisions made by the Minister for Environment and Water:
- the grant of a licence to a person to use animals in teaching, research or experimentation
- imposition of limitations or conditions on a licence
- the renewal of a licence
- the revocation of a licence.
SACAT can also review decisions made by an animal ethics committee regarding approvals for use and acquisition of animals by licence holders.
Applying for a review
Generally, an application for review of a decision must be lodged within 1 month from the date the decision was issued.
Before applying to SACAT for a review of a decision by the Minister for Environment and Water or an animal ethics committee, you must:
- have a copy of the decision you want to challenge - you should include this with your application
- ensure you are ready to pay the required fee.
1. Start an online application
2. In the keyword field in Step 2, type the words 'animal welfare’ as shown below and then scroll down to select the correct application type.
3. Attach a copy of the decision you are seeking to review. You can do this by either:
- uploading a copy of the decision with your online application
- emailing the decision to us at email@example.com
- post the decision to us at GPO Box 2361 Adelaide SA 5001.
You will need to quote your tracking code or file number when sending any correspondence to SACAT.
There is a filing fee applicable for this type of application.
Payment can be made online by credit card at the time of completing the online form, or by using one of the other options outlined in the payment section of the application form.