SACAT can review certain decisions made under the Building Work Contractors Act 1995.
Types of decisions SACAT can review
SACAT can review licensing decisions made by the Commissioner for Consumer Affairs, including:
- refusing an application for a building work contractors licence
- refusing an application for a building work supervisor registration
- suspending or imposing conditions on a licence or registration in urgent circumstances
- cancelling, suspending or imposing conditions on a licence or registration.
Applying for a review
An application for review must be made within 1 month of the Commissioner's determination.
If the reasons of the Commissioner are not given in writing at the time of making the determination and the applicant (within one month of the making of the determination) requires the Commissioner to state the reasons in writing, the time for making an application for review runs from the time at which the applicant receives the written statement of those reasons.
Before applying to SACAT for a review of a decision, you must:
- have a copy of the decision which you want to challenge – you should include this with your application
- ensure you are ready to pay the required fee for making an application.
1. Start an online application.
2. In the keyword field type the words 'building work contractor’ as shown below.
3. Scroll down to select the correct application type as per step 3. If you are not sure you have selected the correct application type, you can hover over the ‘question mark’ on the right-hand side to see a brief description.
4. Attach a copy of the decision you are seeking to review. You can do this by either:
- uploading a copy of the decision with your online application
- emailing the decision to us at firstname.lastname@example.org
- post the decision to us at GPO Box 2361 Adelaide SA 5001.
You will need to quote your tracking code or file number when sending any correspondence to SACAT.
There is a filing fee applicable for this type of application.
Payment can be made online by credit card at the time of completing the online form, or by using one of the other options outlined in the payment section of the application form.