SACAT can review certain decisions under the Conveyancers Act 1994.
Types of decisions SACAT can review
SACAT can review the following decisions of the Commissioner for Consumer Affairs:
- refusal to grant registration
- cancellation, suspension or imposition of conditions on registration
- appointment of an administrator or temporary manager to manage a conveyancer’s trust account and/or business
- a compensation determination about a claim on a conveyancer’s indemnity fund.
An application for review of a Commissioner’s decision to refuse registration must be made within 1 months after the making of the Commissioner’s decision.
An application for review of the Commissioner’s decision to appoint an administrator or temporary manager must be made within 28 days of receiving notice of their appointment.
An application for review of the Commissioner’s decision regarding a claim on a conveyancer’s indemnity fund must be made within 3 months after notice is received of the determination.
Applying to SACAT
Before applying to SACAT for a review of a decision made by the Commissioner for Consumer Affairs you must:
- Have a copy of the decision or order which you want to challenge – you should include this with your application.
- Indicate whether you are a seeking a stay pending the review on the application.
- Ensure you are ready to pay the required fee for making an application.
1. Start an online application.
2. In the keyword field type the word ‘conveyancer’ as shown below.
3. Scroll down to select the correct application type as per step 3. If you are not sure you have selected the correct application type, you can hover over the ‘question mark’ on the right-hand side to see a brief description.
4. Attach a copy of the decision you are seeking to review. You can do this by either:
- uploading a copy of the decision with your online application
- emailing the decision to us at email@example.com
- post the decision to us at GPO Box 2361 Adelaide SA 5001.
You will need to quote your tracking code or file number when sending any correspondence to SACAT.
There is a filing fee applicable for this type of application.
Payment can be made online by credit card at the time of completing the online form, or by using one of the other options outlined in the payment section of the application form.
SACAT also hears and determines disciplinary actions against conveyancers.