SACAT can review certain decisions made under the Gene Technology Act 2001.
Types of decisions SACAT can review
SACAT can review the following decisions made by the Office of the Gene Technology Regulator:
- refusing to consider an application on the basis that the applicant is not a suitable person to hold a licence
- refusing to issue a licence
- imposing a licence condition
- suspending or cancelling a licence
- refusing to transfer a licence
- varying a licence
- refusing to vary a licence
- refusing to certify a facility
- specifying a condition of a certification
- varying a certification
- refusing to transfer a certification
- refusing to accredit an organisation
- specifying a condition of an accreditation
- varying an accreditation
- suspending or cancelling an accreditation
- refusing to declare information to be confidential commercial information
- revoking a declaration that information is confidential commercial information.
Applying for a review
Generally, an application for review of a decision must be lodged within 28 days after the decision was made.
Before applying to SACAT for a review of a decision you must:
- have a copy of the decision which you want to challenge – you should include this with your application
- ensure you are ready to pay the required fee for making an application.
1. Start an online application
2. In the keyword field in Step 2 type the word ‘Gene tech’ as shown below and then scroll down to select the correct application type.
If you are not sure you have chosen the correct application type, you can hover over the ‘question mark’ on the right-hand side to see a brief description.
3. Attach a copy of the decision you are seeking to review. You can do this by either:
- uploading a copy of the decision with your online application
- emailing the decision to us at email@example.com
- post the decision to us at GPO Box 2361 Adelaide SA 5001.
You will need to quote your tracking code or file number when sending any correspondence to SACAT.
There is a filing fee applicable for this type of application.
Payment can be made online by credit card at the time of completing the online form, or by using one of the other options outlined in the payment section of the application form.