SACAT can review certain decisions made by the Housing Safety Authority under the Housing Improvement Act 2016.
Types of decisions SACAT can review
SACAT can review the following decisions made by the Housing Safety Authority:
- housing assessment order
- housing improvement order
- housing demolition order
- rent control notice
- notice to vacate.
SACAT is also given a broader jurisdiction to deal with housing improvement tenancy disputes.
Applying for a review
An application for review of a decision must be lodged within 28 days from the date that the order or notice was issued.
The Tribunal may permit you to make an application after this time if appropriate to do so.
Before applying to SACAT for a review of a decision, you must:
- have a copy of the decision which you want to challenge – you should include this with your application.
- ensure you are ready to pay the required fee for making an application.
- Start an online application.
- In the keyword field within Step 2 type the words 'housing improvements' as shown below.
- Scroll down to select the correct application type as per step 3. If you are not sure you have selected the correct application type, you can hover over the ‘question mark’ on the right-hand side to see a brief description.
4. Attach a copy of the decision you are seeking to review. You can do this by either:
- uploading a copy of the decision with your online application
- emailing the decision to us at firstname.lastname@example.org
- post the decision to us at GPO Box 2361 Adelaide SA 5001.
You will need to quote your tracking code or file number when sending any correspondence to SACAT.
There is a filing fee applicable for this type of application.
Payment can be made online by credit card at the time of completing the online form, or by using one of the other options outlined in the payment section of the application form.
Current fees and information about payment methods and fee waiver options
I need more help
If you have further questions call SACAT on 1800 723 767 (menu option 4 then option 5 - for reviews of government decisions).
A staff member from SACAT can also help you complete your application over the phone.