SACAT can review certain decisions made under Land Agents Act 1994.
Types of decisions SACAT can review
SACAT can review certain decisions made by the Commissioner for Consumer Affairs including:
- refusing to register a person as an agent, sales representative, property manager or auctioneer
- cancelling, suspending or imposing conditions on registration
- immediately suspending or imposing conditions on registration in urgent circumstances where the agent, sales representative, property manager or auctioneer has engaged - or is engaging in - conduct that constitutes grounds for disciplinary action
- appointing an administrator or temporary manager to manage a conveyancer's trust account or business
- compensation determinations
- a fiduciary default determination.
Applying for a review
Generally, an application for review of a decision must be lodged within:
- 1 month after receiving notice of the relevant decision
- 28 days after receiving notice of the appointment of an administrator or temporary manager
- 3 months after receiving a compensation determination.
Before applying to SACAT for a review of a decision you must:
- have a copy of the decision which you want to challenge – you should include this with your application
- ensure you are ready to pay the required fee for making an application.
1. Start an online application
2. In the keyword field type the word ‘land agent’ as shown below and then scroll down to select the correct application type.
If you are not sure you have selected the correct application type, you can hover over the ‘question mark’ on the right-hand side to see a brief description.
3. Attach a copy of the decision you are seeking to review. You can do this by either:
- uploading a copy of the decision with your online application
- emailing the decision to us at email@example.com
- post the decision to us at GPO Box 2361 Adelaide SA 5001.
You will need to quote your tracking code or file number when sending any correspondence to SACAT.
There is a filing fee applicable for this type of application.
Payment can be made online by credit card at the time of completing the online form, or by using one of the other options outlined in the payment section of the application form.
I need more help
If you have further questions call SACAT on 1800 723 767 (menu option 4 then option 5 - for reviews of Government Decisions).
A staff member from SACAT can also help you complete your application over the phone
SACAT also has jurisdiction to determine disciplinary proceedings against land agents.