SACAT can review certain decisions made under the Livestock Act 1993
Types of decisions SACAT can review
SACAT can review the following decisions made by the Chief Inspector of Stock:
- determining an amount of compensation payable for a particular livestock or property where the livestock or property has either died or been destroyed to control an exotic disease
- issuing a notice:
- requiring a person to discontinue or not commence a specified activity
- not carry on a specified activity except subject to specified conditions
- take specified action within a specified period
- refusing to grant or renew registration to keep livestock, operate an artificial breeding centre or operate a veterinary diagnostic laboratory or imposing a condition on registration
- refusing to grant or renew registration of a brand
- suspending, cancelling or imposing conditions upon the registration of a brand
- issuing a compliance notice.
Applying for a review
Generally, an application for review of a decision must be lodged within:
- 21 days of receipt of a compensation determination
- 14 days of the issue of a compliance notice
- 1 month of the date of the decision.
Before applying to SACAT for a review you must:
- have a copy of the decision which you want to challenge – you should include this with your application
- ensure you are ready to pay the required fee for making an application.
1. Start an online application
2. In the keyword field type the word ‘livestock’ and scroll down to select the correct application type.
3. Attach a copy of the decision you are seeking to review. You can do this by either:
- uploading a copy of the decision with your online application
- emailing the decision to us at firstname.lastname@example.org
- post the decision to us at GPO Box 2361 Adelaide SA 5001.
You will need to quote your tracking code or file number when sending any correspondence to SACAT.
There is a filing fee applicable for this type of application.
Payment can be made online by credit card at the time of completing the online form, or by using one of the other options outlined in the payment section of the application form.