SACAT can review certain decisions made under the Petroleum and Geothermal Energy Act 2000
Types of decisions SACAT can review
SACAT can review the following decisions made by the Minister for Energy and Mining:
- granting an application for a licence
- refusing to grant an application for a licence
- imposing licence conditions or about the nature of the licence conditions
- suspending or cancelling a licence
- imposing an administrative penalty
- imposing a penalty interest or a fine due to failure to pay a royalty or an annual licence fee.
SACAT can also review:
- a determination requiring the holder of a pipeline licence to provide access to the pipeline or a decision not to make the determination
- a direction to a licensee or former licensee
- decisions about the material to be included in or excluded from a register.
Applying for a review
Before applying to SACAT, the decision must first be reconsidered by the Minister.
Generally, an application for review of a decision must be lodged within 1 month after receiving notice of the decision.
Before applying to SACAT for a review of a decision you must:
- have a copy of the decision which you want to challenge – you should include this with your application
- ensure you are ready to pay the required fee for making an application.
1. Start an online application
2. In the keyword field type the words ‘petroleum and geothermal’ and then scroll down to select the correct application type.
3. Attach a copy of the decision you are seeking to review. You can do this by either:
- uploading a copy of the decision with your online application
- emailing the decision to us at email@example.com
- post the decision to us at GPO Box 2361 Adelaide SA 5001.
You will need to quote your tracking code or file number when sending any correspondence to SACAT.
There is a filing fee applicable for this type of application.
Payment can be made online by credit card at the time of completing the online form, or by using one of the other options outlined in the payment section of the application form.