SACAT can review certain decisions made under the Controlled Substances Act 1984.
Types of decisions SACAT can review
- a decision to refuse to issue a poppy cultivation licence
- a decision to refuse to renew a poppy cultivation or a poppy processing licence
- a decision to refuse to register a contract between a licensed grower and a licensed processor in the alkaloid poppy register
- a decision to suspend, cancel or amend a licence for poppy cultivation or a poppy processing licence
- a decision to refuse to grant a licence
- a decision to impose or vary conditions on a licence
- a decision to suspend or cancel a licence
- a decision to vary a licence
- to suspend or revoke a person’s licence, authority or permit to prohibit a person from undertaking certain activities.
SACAT can review the following decisions made by the Chief Executive of the Department for Health and Wellbeing:
SACAT can review the following decisions made by the licensing authority:
Powers of the Minister
SACAT can review a decision of the Minister for Health and Wellbeing:
Applying for a review
Generally, an application for review of a decision must be lodged within 1 month from the date the decision was issued.
Before applying to SACAT for a review of a decision you must:
- have a copy of the decision which you want to challenge – you should include this with your application
- ensure you are ready to pay the required fee for making an application.
1. Start an online application.
2. In the keyword field type the word ‘poppy’ as show below.
3. Scroll down to select the correct application type as per step 3. If you are not sure you have selected the correct application type, you can hover over the ‘question mark’ on the right-hand side to see a brief description.
4. Attach a copy of the decision you are seeking to review. You can do this by either:
- uploading a copy of the decision with your online application
- emailing the decision to us at email@example.com
- post the decision to us at GPO Box 2361 Adelaide SA 5001.
You will need to quote your tracking code or file number when sending any correspondence to SACAT.
There is a filing fee applicable for this type of application.
Payment can be made online by credit card at the time of completing the online form, or by using one of the other options outlined in the payment section of the application form.
Current fees and information about payment methods and fee waiver options
I need more help
If you have further questions call SACAT on 1800 723 767 (menu option 4 then option 5 - for reviews of government decisions).
A staff member from SACAT can also help you complete your application over the phone.