SACAT can review certain decisions made by Housing SA under the South Australian Housing Trust Act 1995.
Types of decisions SACAT can review
SACAT can review decisions of Housing SA where:
- the decisions relate to an assessment of a person's housing needs or position
- a person has applied to Housing SA for housing assistance, priority housing, rent assistance or other rent or bond concessions
- the decision affects a tenant of Housing SA or arises under a tenancy agreement where Housing SA is the landlord.
Decisions SACAT cannot review
SACAT does not deal with:
- complaints about neighbours
- complaints about the policies of Housing SA or the Government
- complaints about the behaviour of Housing SA or Government staff (as distinct from decisions made by them)
- any housing case which is being or can be dealt with by SACAT under the Residential Tenancies Act
- any case which is the subject of proceedings before another tribunal or court.
Applying for a review
Generally, an application for review of a decision must be lodged within 1 month from the date the decision was issued.
Before applying to SACAT for a review of a Housing SA decision, you must:
- apply to Housing SA for an internal review of the decision
- check with Housing SA about the time limit to make an application to SACAT.
1. Start an online application.
2. In the keyword field type the word ‘SA Housing’ as shown below.
3. Scroll down to select the correct application type as per step 3. If you are not sure you have selected the correct application type, you can hover over the ‘question mark’ on the right-hand side to see a brief description.
4. Attach a copy of the decision you are seeking to review. You can do this by either:
- uploading a copy of the decision with your online application
- emailing the decision to us at email@example.com
- post the decision to us at GPO Box 2361 Adelaide SA 5001.
You will need to quote your tracking code or file number when sending any correspondence to SACAT.
There is a filing fee applicable for this type of application.
Payment can be made online by credit card at the time of completing the online form, or by using one of the other options outlined in the payment section of the application form.