SACAT hears and determines disciplinary actions against building work contractors, supervisors and consultants under the Building Work Contractors Act 1995.
What can SACAT do?
Under the Act, SACAT has the power to:
- reprimand the person
- impose a fine not exceeding $20,000
- disqualify the person from being licensed or registered
- disqualify the person from being licensed or registered under this Act
- prohibit the person from
- being employed or otherwise engaged in the business of a building work contractor
- being a director of a body corporate that is a building work contractor
- carrying on business as a building consultant
- being employed or otherwise engaged in the business of a building consultant
- being a director of a body corporate that is a building consultant
- if the person is a licensed as a building work contractor or registered as a building work supervisor—
- impose conditions on the person's license or registration
- suspend the person's license or registration for a specified period
- cancel the person's license or registration.
Applying for disciplinary action
When applying to SACAT you must be able to:
- identify the legislative provision(s) you rely on
- state and describe the conduct said to justify the disciplinary findings, and identify the relevant legislative provisions relied upon
- identify the facts, acts or omissions alleged to constitute the conduct that justifies the disciplinary finding
- provide any supporting documents
- pay any relevant application fees.
- Start an online application.
- In the keyword field in Step 2, type the word ‘building work’ as shown below and then scroll down to select the correct application type.
If you are not sure you have selected the correct application type you can hover over the ‘question mark’ on the right-hand side to see a brief description.
There is a filing fee applicable for this type of application.
Payment can be made online by credit card at the time of completing the online form, or by using one of the other options outlined in the payment section of the application form.
I need more help
If you have further questions call SACAT on 1800 723 767 (menu option 4 then option 7 - for disciplinary jurisdiction)
A staff member from SACAT can also help you complete your application over the phone.