SACAT hears and determines disciplinary actions against tow truck drivers under the Motor Vehicles Act 1959.
What can SACAT do?
Under the Act SACAT is given the power to:
- reprimand the person
- impose a fine not exceeding $1250
- in the case of a person who holds a tow truck certificate or temporary tow truck certificate—suspend or cancel the certificate
- disqualify the person from holding a tow truck certificate or temporary tow truck certificate under this Act.
Applying for disciplinary action
When applying to SACAT you must be in a position to:
- identify the provision(s) of legislation you rely on
- advise the conduct said to justify the disciplinary findings identifying the relevant provision of legislation relied on
- identify the facts, acts or omissions alleged to constitute the conduct that justifies the disciplinary finding
- provide any supporting documents
- pay any applicable fee payable to make an application.
- Start an online application.
- In the keyword field in Step 2 type the word ‘motor vehicle’ as shown below and then scroll down to select the correct application type.
There is a filing fee applicable for this type of application.
Payment can be made online by credit card at the time of completing the online form, or by using one of the other options outlined in the payment section of the application form.
I need more help
If you have further questions call SACAT on 1800 723 767 (menu option 4 then option 7 - for disciplinary jurisdiction)
A staff member from SACAT can also help you complete your application over the phone.
SACAT can also review certain decisions made by the Registrar of Motor Vehicles and local councils.