SACAT hears and determines disciplinary actions against veterinary surgeons and service providers registered in South Australia under the Veterinary Practice Act 2003.
What can SACAT do?
Under the Act, SACAT has the power to:
- reprimand the person
- impose a fine not exceeding $10,000
- disqualify the person from general registration, specialist registration or registration in a particular specialty, or both general and specialist registration, under this Act
- prohibit the person from carrying on business as a veterinary services provider
- prohibit the person from occupying a position of authority in a trust or corporate entity that is a veterinary services provider
- if the person has general registration -
- impose conditions on the person's registration restricting the person's right to provide veterinary treatment
- suspend the person's registration for a period not exceeding 1 year
- cancel the person's registration
- if the person has specialist registration -
- suspend the person's specialist registration or registration in a particular specialty, or the person's general and specialist registration, under this Act for a period not exceeding 1 year
- cancel the person's specialist registration or registration in a particular specialty, or the person's general and specialist registration, under this Act.
Applying for disciplinary action
When applying to SACAT you must be able to:
- identify the legislative provision(s) you rely on
- state and describe the conduct said to justify the disciplinary findings, and identify the relevant legislative provisions relied upon
- identify the facts, acts or omissions alleged to constitute the conduct that justifies the disciplinary finding
- provide any supporting documents
- pay any relevant application fees.
- Start an online application.
- In the keyword field in Step 2, type the word ‘veterinary’ as shown below and then scroll down to select the correct application type.
If you are not sure you have selected the correct application type you can hover over the ‘question mark’ on the right-hand side to see a brief description.
There is a filing fee applicable for this type of application.
Payment can be made online by credit card at the time of completing the online form, or by using one of the other options outlined in the payment section of the application form.
I need more help
If you have further questions call SACAT on 1800 723 767 (menu option 4 then option 7 - for disciplinary jurisdiction)
A staff member from SACAT can also help you complete your application over the phone.
SACAT can also review certain decisions made under the Veterinary Practice Act 2003.