A landlord or rooming house proprietor can apply to SACAT for an order requiring the tenant or resident to:

A tenant or resident may do the same.

Types of disputes

This happens when the non-breaching party wants the agreement to continue but also wants the problem to be fixed. They may also want compensation.

Examples where this might happen include:

  • Breaches by a tenant or resident:
    • unauthorised alterations made to the property by a tenant or resident
    • other people living in the property without the landlord or proprietor's approval
    • pets permitted at the property without the landlord or proprietor's approval
    • damage caused by the tenant or resident, or failure to keep the property reasonably clean.
  • Breaches by the landlord or proprietor:
    • attendance at the property without having served a notice for inspection
    • failure to carry out repairs to defects reported by the resident or tenant
    • failure to lodge a tenant's security bond
    • failure to provide proper receipts for rent.

Residential parks

A residential park owner or operator generally has the same rights in these situations as the landlord or proprietor and a residential park resident has the same rights as those of a tenant.

Apply to SACAT

All applications to SACAT are made online. You can use a computer, tablet or smart phone.

Apply now

You can also submit applications over the phone with the help of a community access officer.

Call 1800 723 767 during business hours.