The most common dispute at the end of a tenancy or agreement is a claim on the bond or a claim for compensation by a landlord or proprietor because a tenant or resident has not returned the property in an appropriate condition when moving out.

Claims can include:

  • rent
  • water
  • cleaning and rubbish removal
  • repairs.

If the security bond has not been refunded after the tenancy has ended, the tenant or resident can apply to SACAT for an order that the bond be repaid.

In general, the same kinds of disputes may arise at the end of a residential parks agreement.

Abandoned goods

If a tenant or resident abandons a property before the end of a tenancy or agreement, leaving possessions at the property, there may be a dispute about how those possessions are dealt with.

SACAT can also deal with disputes about abandoned dwellings in residential parks.


The Residential Tenancies Act 1995 was recently amended to include rules about what information can be placed on databases about tenants, when that information must be updated and when it must be removed.

SACAT can deal with disputes about database entries for a tenancy.

Apply to SACAT

All applications to SACAT are made online. You can use a computer, tablet or smart phone.

Apply now

You can also submit applications over the phone with the help of a community access officer.

Call 1800 723 767 during business hours.