Everyone has the right to feel safe and live in an environment free from violence. Renting laws provide options to help victims escape domestic violence.

Victims are able to:

  • stay at the rented home and have the perpetrator leave; or
  • leave the rented premises and be removed from the rental agreement.


Staying means you will need to apply to SACAT to have the perpetrator removed from the rental agreement.


Leaving means you will need to apply to SACAT to either end your part in the agreement or terminate the agreement altogether.

Apply to SACAT

All applications to SACAT are made online. You can use a computer, tablet or smart phone.

Apply now

You can also submit applications over the phone with the help of a community access officer.

Call 1800 723 767 during business hours.

Other provisions

  • empower SACAT to determine that one or more, but not all co-tenants, are liable for compensation to the landlord.
  • prohibit a tenant’s personal information being listed on a Residential Tenancy Database (tenant’s blacklist) in certain situations of domestic violence. For example, where the damage was caused from an act of abuse against the victim.

More information

See our Preparing for hearing domestic violence cases fact sheet (PDF, 115.8 KB) for additional information.

If you are fearful of being subjected to domestic abuse, contact your local police station to discuss appropriate responses.

Call 131 444 for patrol assistance, or call 000 in case of emergency.